Home Moral guidelines Hong Kong School Faces Backlash After Children Show Graphic Images of Nanjing Massacre Hong Kong

Hong Kong School Faces Backlash After Children Show Graphic Images of Nanjing Massacre Hong Kong

0

A Hong Kong elementary school has apologized after students as young as six cried last week after teachers showed them disturbing video footage of the Nanjing massacre ahead of her 84th birthday on Monday.

The incident came after the Education Bureau called on local schools to hold activities commemorating the massacre in a directive last month.

Yuen Yuen Primary School of the Hong Kong Taoist Association Po Leung Kuk showed images of executions and corpses during the Nanjing massacre to its youngest students in a moral and civic education class, according to local media.

The five-minute clip, taken from an RTHK documentary on the massacre, showed Japanese soldiers executing civilians and piles of dead bodies, including babies. The clip was included in the teaching material suggested by the Education Bureau to commemorate the massacre.

The Nanjing Massacre, which lasted from December 1937 to January 1938, saw the mass murder and rape of hundreds of thousands of Nanjing residents by Imperial Japanese troops over a six-week period during World War II. Sino-Japanese. Beijing frequently refers to the massacre to stoke nationalist outrage against Japan.

The school later “expressed regret” for the incident in response to complaints from concerned parents.

“We have heard that some children are feeling disturbed,” read an email from last Friday. “Our school will now be much more careful, will carefully examine the feelings of the children and adjust the teaching materials according to each level. “

The school added that it will continue to take students’ feelings into account when implementing national identity and civic responsibility education. The Guardian has contacted the school for comment.

Hong Kong education authorities have sought to distance themselves from the incident. A spokesperson told The Guardian on Monday that there was no requirement for schools to show the materials provided to their entire cohort. The office added that teachers should use their professional judgment and provide appropriate guidance when teaching students about war.

“After reading the information provided by the Education Bureau, teachers can choose the appropriate textbooks or select the appropriate passages according to the age and mental development of the students,” the office said in a statement sent by email.

He added that the video was publicly available and contained warnings that the footage could be disturbing to some viewers.

The incident also comes amid broader pressure from authorities to foster a sense of Chinese identity and homeland love among students after Beijing imposed a national security law in the summer. last.

Earlier this month, the Bureau of Education released a comprehensive new national curriculum and guidelines for all local schools.